Rebecca Mushtare is an interactive media designer. She is an Assistant Professor of Graphic Design at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Oswego. Her research interests include representations of gender, design for social impact, design for aging populations and community based learning. Rebecca actively engages her students in community projects and regularly speaks and publishes on community based learning and community partnerships. Over the past year, Rebecca has become increasingly interested in issues related to aging and has collaborated with colleagues on Recollections: A Memory Loss Awareness Project which is now a traveling exhibition visiting elder care facilities. Rebecca is also a member of the Active Aging and Community Engagement Center at SUNY Oswego steering committee and the Education Director and Board Member of AIGA Upstate New York. Mushtare also maintains a creative practice that overlaps and extends her academic research. Her creative work spans media from code to fibers. Her work is often motivated by social and political issues but also has a keen interest in the power of abstract color and shape to provoke and evoke emotion. View Full CV (Google Doc)
- Chesler, Giovanna and Rebecca Mushtare. “Collaborative Media Production, Authorship, and Distribution.” Issues in Engaged Scholarship: An Exploration of Community-Campus Collaborations. Colin L. Powell Center for Leadership & NYMAPS. New York, 2013. Print.
- 2014STE(A)M, ArtsWestchester, White Plains, NY.
- 2014Made in NY 2014, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY.
- 2014Tinkers, Artists, Innovators: Bricolage, Rockland Center for the Arts, West Nyack, NY.
- 2013INTERweave: Extreme Fibers. Art Gallery in Reisman Hall, Cazenovia College, Cazenovia, NY.
- 2013QR, HERE, New York, NY.
- 2013SUNY Oswego Art Faculty Exhibition, SUNY Plaza Gallery, Albany, NY.
- 2013Art Department Faculty Exhibition, Tyler Art Gallery, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY.
- 2013Solo Exhibition, Rebecca Mushtare, Rome Art and Community Center, Rome, NY.
- 2013Small-Group Exhibition.Bits and Pieces, Lapham Gallery, Glens Falls, NY.
- 2013Small-Group Exhibition. Group Exhibition, Buckham Gallery, Flint, MI.
- 2013The Connective Thread: Wearable to Sculptural Fibers, Gandee Gallery, Fabius, NY.
- 2013Art Faculty, Tyler Art Gallery, SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY.
- 2013Interwoven: Art.Craft.Design.,Arlington Arts Center, Arlington, VA.